I'm adding a new blog to my blog list on the right side of the page: Old Jews Telling Jokes. Check it out. Reminds me of my grandpa, otherwise known as "Boobydaddy". Seriously, that's what we called him.
I went to Gold Wall yesterday with Nunley and got on Wicked Gold. It's the first 13a I've tried since Fugitive 2 years ago (grade debating notwithstanding). None of it seemed that bad except for one of the last moves, which I suppose is the crux. I can't figure out if it's supposed to be that hard or it's just reachy. I think it's both. I'll try it again tomorrow and if I still can't do the last move I'm going to abandon it. The whole left side of the wall is dry, and there are plenty of climbs over there I haven't done yet. Plus it's supposed to rain again this week. blah.
Lauren McG is coming back today from Kenya, which is super exciting! I've missed her quite a bit, thought her fiance, John (aka Captain MSR) is a reasonable substitute. She loves lemon, so I made her something lemon-flavored with Bridget's last Meyer lemon. I think the Kenyan diet is rather plain, and she's been living on it for almost 2 months. Some good old-fashioned American fat and sugar is definitely in order.
Spring-cleaning dominated my day. I washed my car (it looks so handsome when it's clean) and wiped down all the surfaces in my kitchen (including inside the fridge, floors, cabinets, dishwasher, windows and windowsills, etc.). Oh yeah, and my toilets. Thank God they are MY toilets. So it was a slacker day...kind of. I wanted to go for a bike ride since the weather is freakin' spectacular, but I ended up doing the mega-clean instead, and making fried rice. woo! I'm on this Asian food kick right now, which is fun.
I'm so proud of Nunsquatch. He hurt his shoulder back in the Fall when we were climbing a bunch at Gold Wall. The man is definitely prone to overuse injuries, since when he's into something, he's IN to it all the way. So he bought a bike, got super psyched and biked like, 100 miles his first week. Then came a road bike, and then came a mountain bike. Pretty soon he'd lost 25-30 lbs. The guy is a maniac for bikes now, and is even considering taking a weekend job at a local bike shop to learn more about how to take care of bikes. And to think I was there to witness his inaugural spill with clipless pedals in front of my house. Wow (apparently he still falls all of the time (mountain biking) and has earned the nickname "Davy McSpills"). I think he's going to do the MS bike ride with me this Fall...assuming I get psyched to do it again, which I think I will. Summer is such a great season for biking in Davis, even though it's hot as hell. It's nice to wake up and get a long bike ride in early in the morning and have the entire day left ahead of you.
One more thing, this old video of a city dynamiting a beached whale carcass, and the ensuing chaos of rotting blubber pelting people and cars up to half a mile away is pretty amazing. It got 2 thumbs up from both Joe and Karrigan.
No comments:
Post a Comment