Sunday, March 14, 2010

I vacation in Moab so my Swedish car can play in the snow.



So I'm here after some navigational errors (I drove through South Lake Tahoe following 50 rather than going over 80 and then getting on to 50...and then I drove through Milford rather than Delta...which might have been the same time but I have no idea.)  Poor decision-making on my part.

There was quite a bit of snow in Nevada, which didn't bode well for Utah.  Sure enough, there's quite a bit of snow here. Fortunately, however, yesterday was gorgeous so we went to Battle of the Bulge and I warmed up on Three Strikes You're Out, and then Joe put a rope on Air Swedin.  I TRed Swedin Ringle once, then TRed it clean, then tried to lead it.  Leading that thing is way harder than toproping it (shocking, I know).  Whatever. I hate it when the crux of a route is clipping the chains. This does not a classic make. I made it pretty high, but given that I haven't led on gear in almost a year, I'm pretty happy with it overall.

Joe TRed Air Swedin twice and then fired it.  Super impressive. I was kind of hoping for some killer sports action, but apparently Joe never falls when I belay him...except on the Free Blast... but we've all blocked that out of our collective memories. I like that Joe gets scared and puts in a lot of gear and doesn't make me feel stupid for being gripped and putting in a lot of gear. It's refreshing.

By the afternoon some weather was rolling in, but I'd heard that Crack Attack is amazing and rad and a must-do, so we wandered over there. Unfortunately a party of 3 was on it, and the weather was coming.  By the time they were done it looked like rain was imminent, so they offered to leave their rope up.  I even had them clean the anchors in case the sky cut loose while I was on the route.  It was good timing, because it started raining right when I got down.

Dinner was clearly going to be a problem, but after backing up our tailgates, hanging a tarp, and then ultimately abandoning any thoughts of cooking outside, I cooked TJs mac and cheese on my jet boil for us in the volvo.  So cozy!

It poured all night long, and then it dumped snow.  The above photo was taken this morning, as were these:


not ideal climbing weather, but super pretty nonetheless.


Joe has a thing for pink. I hope to get a photo of him in his pink tights with yellow lightning bolts...


1 comment:

shannon said...

Holy snow! More photos of climbing, please, even butt shots will do.