Sunday, March 21, 2010

Camp life, Moab life


Yesterday in the creek was insane. I met up with Brad and Katie early in the morning at Scarface (someone referred to me as "the girl with the huge pack charging up the hill", which made me psyched). It was very cold and very crowded.  We did 3 pitches and then bailed to Blue Gramma, thinking it would be warmer and that there would be more open climbs. After chatting about life and happiness in the van, we wandered up to Blue Gramma and got a couple more pitches in. I cheesed out on a 5.11 purple/green cam splitter (I'm tired), but then I crushed a 5.9 big blues/ tight #4s crack. YEEEssssss.  I ended up getting in 6 pitches, even if they were all short (by creek standards).

I've calculated that in the last 8 days I've taken 2 rest days.  That's a lot of climbing, especially for me.  Not to mention charging up the hill with a huge pack.  I think my legs are more tired than anything else.

But I wanted to hang out with Brad and Katie, and it was a lot of fun. Their dogs are super cool. One of them always gets all sad and stressed when Katie is lowering off a climb. It's pretty cute.

I'm trying to decide if I'll stick around and climb with this guy Josh who seems to be more excited about climbing adventurous stuff (stuff in Castleton, Lower Mill Creek, some other random stuff). Or I could go to Joe's and meet up with Jake and the Idaho crew (Crase and some bay area folks are there as well). Or I could just go home and snuggle into my delicious bed and save up for a longer trip in the fall...I really want to go to the red.  I really want to clip a shitload of bolts.

Part of my IC buzzkill is that Joe took off, and without a solid goal-oriented partner I end up being like "meh" at the creek.  I think if I bouldered I'd get my mojo back, because when I boulder I never worry about running out of gear. It's sick.

I figured today would be a good day to rest, since I've stayed the last two nights in Moab and I'm already here this morning (yesterday I did the day-trip commute). I ran into a friend from last year who's letting me crash on her couch, which is rad! Plus it's effing hectic down there with Colorado spring breakers.  Has anyone else noticed that people from Boulder say they are from the "front range" now?  Like they are ashamed to be from Boulder?  Wtf?

Tomorrow I'm undecided, though I left a note with Josh that I might be down to climb.  I'm waiting for divine inspiration to help me decide what to do.  I think at this point though, I'll probably go bouldering. The Idaho crew are so much fun to hang out with, and they have Joe's on lockdown.  It's a good opportunity to go there with those guys.

And now I leave you with some camp life photos from Creek Pasture:


Check out the black smoke billowing out of Dave's yellow van. It was going to break down that day at Pistol Whipped, but he made it to Moab, found a part and fixed it up.  I think divorce is imminent, however.

No comments: