Saturday, February 13, 2010

The cake monster, Yosemite, stuff.

I'm headed to the valley in an hour or so to meet up with my friend Katrina to boulder for the weekend.  Bouldering more in the gym and getting a bit stronger (or just remembering how to boulder) has made me more psyched to go outdoors.  Plus Gold Wall is probably wet and I don't want to drive to Bishop.

The original plan was to go to a gym or something on Saturday and then have a fuck-off bake-off at my house in honor of V-Day, but I decided that I'd rather go rock climbing.  Shocking.


So I made the recipe I'd had a crush on last night, rather than on Sunday: a pomegranate chocolate mousse cake, aka the Cake Monster (pictured above).  The recipe had no picture, and it turned out to be WAY bigger than I'd anticipated.  Four layers of chocolate cake with pomegranate syrup and pomegranate chocolate mousse filling, topped by pomegranate italian meringue buttercream (my first attempt at this frosting) and then doused in a pomegranate chocolate ganache.  It was damned good.  I went over to Bjorn and Lisa's last night for dinner/Olympic opening ceremony, and brought the monster. Fortunately a few other people were over there and I managed to have about half of the cake consumed.  I left it at Bjorn's house with care instructions and the hope that more of it will be gone by Monday when I return to pick up the monster.

Writing about things, for me, gets them out of my head.  If I am upset about something and I write about it, it goes away.  The demons get exorcised; it works.

Part of why I write about these difficult things is to get them out of my head, and another part is because maybe one of my friends is also feeling something similar. I think many of us don't talk about things that are hard for us. I know that for me, it makes me feel very very alone if I'm experiencing something painful. I've been told that I come off as "tough", which is not how I feel at all. Writing let's me explore the difficulties, the contradicting emotions, pain, joy, humor and sadness in a way that doesn't get explored through other avenues. I primarily write for myself, but I also write knowing that it will be read by a handful of people, and at the very least I want to be honest.

1 comment:

JJJ said...

I like cake monster..and feel that you have quite the flair for written expression.