The basic gist of the book is that people will modify their opinions depending on how much something challenges their view of themselves or how much they have invested in something.In other words, people are loathe to change their minds, but especially when they have invested a great deal in their opinion.
There are several classic examples of this: the woman in love with someone who treats her like shit. The woman says "he's not that bad" because they've already spent X number of years believing that the person is not that bad. The longer they have defended the man, the harder it is to see the reality. Contrast this to someone from outside of a relationship who clearly sees that the guy is a jerk.
Or how about the whole weapons of mass destruction thing? Some people still believe that there are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, because they predicated going to war with Iraq on WMD. Seriously. click on the link.
It's kind of freaking me out, because I recognize this in myself. For example, I haven't been projecting climbs and sending harder grades for a while now. So I say to myself "I just don't care that much, I'm not motivated, I have to study for my qualifying exam so I don't make my advisor think he wasted three years on me, etc." These things may all be true: I haven't been motivated and I do have to study. But the very fact that I'm spending time thinking about it and trying to convince myself indicates to me that I'm self-justifying. So what came first? Did I lose motivation and need to study? or did I stop stop climbing hard and then need to make up an excuse for it?
I get annoyed with myself for even worrying about it. I think part of the problem is that no matter what I do, I feel like I'm not doing enough. I'm doing well in grad school right now, devoting a lot of energy and brain power to my proposal and qualifying exam, but now I feel guilty for not climbing more. And of course anyone who knows me as a climber knows that I always feel guilty about not doing enough in grad school.
I spoke with my friend Tim Doyle the other day and asked him why he never wanted to be a professional climber. He responded "because I like it the way it is."
"Because I like it the way it is."
I can't think of a better response to that question. I know so many people, including myself, who feel they need to elaborate on why being a pro climber is bad for them and why not being a pro climber is good for them. Maybe this is because I clearly don't have the talent to be a pro climber, so it's not even an option (which I have to justify...because I like other things, because I don't want to feel obligated, whatever) but regardless, why explain it? Do I not believe in what I'm doing?
Anyway, this is just food for thought. I think that studying is making me crazy. I'm starting to use all these big words. Yikes! I don't want to appear :::gasp::: elitist!
1 comment:
two things: first, I know what you mean about needing to justify things that don't need complications, in fact, you are the person who taught me that the simplest answer is the best one. second, don't be so hard on yourself, you are doing such amazing things at levels most people only dream of achieving. you're good.
Post a Comment