Sunday, November 16, 2008

Mushrooms!


I went to Hopland, CA, in Mendocino County, to visit my grandparents and uncles yesterday.  I went up to see my sick Grandfather, my delightful and oh-so-cute Grandmother, and to hunt mushrooms!

My Uncles and I took the Kubota out to all of the patches of madrones to look for coccora (Amanita calyptrata).  Unfortunately, Uncle Jerry and Uncle Alec were spoiled last year by the insane numbers of mushrooms.  This year, it appears that we have to work for our dinner.  

At any rate, as a team we found about 9 coccora, about 5 of which are not rejects.  I dumped the rejects on my back patio...I don't want to put them in the trash because they will probably disintegrate into a smelly, gooey ooze.  
We also found some death caps - Amanita phalloides - which I had never seen before.  I'm 99% sure that the top one is a death cap...I'm not so sure about the mushroom pictured in the second two pics:
Also spotted: milk caps - Lactarius ssp. (I think):
And then I think that this is a fungus attacking a fungus:
So now I'm going to go and meet Dr. Rob and bring over the Coccora that I found.  His wife's parents are in town, who are way into mushrooms.  They're going to look them over, and then Rob and I are going to go to PW and hope that upon our return there is a delicious lunch ready for us.  

No comments: