Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Proposition 8

I am completely flabbergasted that Proposition 8 won in CA.  It seems like such a no-brainer to me!  Who are these people that are for Prop 8? Where do they live?  

It amazes me that people feel so threatened by gay marriage.  Part of the argument is that schools will have to teach children about gay marriage (this is not confirmed).  Even still:  who cares?  Why shouldn't kids know that homosexuals exist?  I mean we fool kids into thinking that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny exist when they are fairy tales, and that's okay.  But we shield kids from knowing something (that quite frankly, I think is trivial - about the people who they share this world with?  I just don't get it.  I really don't, and I never will.  I'm sorry but you cannot deny reality.  

Oh and they are saying it's about the definition of marriage, and the sanctity of the institution.  Um...prove to me that marriage is sacred in this day and age.  Maybe straight people should reconsider their view of marriage in the light of the fact that more than 50% of marriages end in divorce.  The idea of marriage being sacred is simply laughable.  If you care about the sanctity of marriage, focus on your own marriage and not the marriages of others.  Stop needing to define your marriage relative to the relationships of others.  Ridiculous.

To think of all of the money that was spent on the advertising for both sides, and what good things that money could have done instead.  I think it is tragic that not only did Proposition 8 win, but that it is something we wasted our time thinking about when so many other serious issues are far more worthy of our advertising dollars, emotions and brain power (I use the term "brain power" for the No on Prop 8 side.  I question the intellect of the Yes on 8 people).

The final issues with Prop 8 is that churches are afraid that they will lose their tax exempt status if they refuse to honor gay marriage.  Well: tough shit.  Ever heard of separation of church and state?  What ever happened to that?  

UGH!  I'm so disgusted.

3 comments:

J V said...

One word: Bigotry.

casey said...

agree w you 100%

sunsh said...

I get so mad about this I think my head is going to pop. I am mad at my state right now. I'm giving it the silent treatment.