Monday, June 23, 2008

Superhero

This is Pete.  Pete has had the nickname "Super Pete" ever since I've met him, which was a few years ago now.  This is because Pete has an indomitable spirit, tons of positivity, and cranks super hard.  I can't even begin to describe how excellent of a rock climber and human being Pete is.
 This Spring Pete had an accident and lost his foot.  Only a few months later he is already walking around and hopping over boulders with his carbon fiber prosthetic so he can come and support his wife Lydia and get out of the house.
Now Pete is a true superhero.  He has handled his injury with grace and a strength that I can only imagine.  He'll be climbing again pretty soon.

I saw Pete for the first time since April yesterday at Donner.  Pete was there spectating and Lydia and I did a little bit of rock climbing.  We started at Snowshed Wall and warmed up on Little Feat and then headed over to Star Wall.  I'd never been to Star Wall since everyone from Sacramento is always going up to Snowshed and staying at Snowshed.  I am sick of Snowshed, but Star Wall is amazing.  What a beautiful wall!  And what a nice place to hang out as well.  I tried Cookie Dough (or Cookie Mix or whatever) which is a .12a over on the left.  I did pretty well up until the small holds, which are difficult to feel right now.  Did all the moves on the first attempt, but I was knackered for the second go.  Oh well, at least I'm climbing again!  It's amazing how happy climbing makes me.  Not only do I get to move my body and be somewhere pretty, but I get to hang out with cool people.  I ran into Cynthia, Paul Crawford and his wife Ella, of course I was with Pete and Lydia, and I finally met Sanam, who I've been hearing about forever.  Hopefully we will climb together soon.

Anyway, I'm so psyched that I am feeling better, am off the steroids, have wonderful friends and family (ok I know I'm being sentimental).  Now if I could only get my Franken-hand back!

No comments: