Sunday, June 1, 2008

rock climbing is fun!

So the past week has been a bit epic.  I got some sort of flu/cold that laid me out for a few days.  Unfortunately it occurred at a somewhat inauspicious time-I had a final report due on my trout project in the middle of feeling like poo.  I basically did nothing for three days...and didn't feel too guilty about it.

Yesterday I went up to Donner with Drew.  It was a lovely day, cold but not too cold to climb.  I made Drew lead everything, which he was fine with since he'd never been to Donner before.  I've pretty much done everything there I'm able to do (and a lot of stuff I am not able to do right now), so I was happy to toprope.  Ran a lap on Farewell to Arms, Little Feat, Manic Depression and Bottomless Topless.  I was psyched to do Manic Depression clean second go (once I remembered the beta).  Little Feat was kind of weird...in years past I've always hiked the bottom (a strength move) and thought that the rest (technical) was hard...yesterday I struggled with the bottom and hiked through the rest.  So I guess I'm weaker but a better rock climber.  I think I can live with that.

But it appears that I am paying for my fun yesterday by having my right hand replaced with a prehensile claw.  It is definitely worse today.  Hopefully it will get better in a few days, but I've been saying that for a few weeks now and it seems to steadily be getting worse.  Funny, when I'm climbing I don't notice it.  I guess I just have to climb more.  I find myself making little deals of acceptance with myself.  For example I'll say to myself "if I could just walk normally I would be ok with having a numb hand."  But then of course my leg gets better and my hand gets worse, so I think "well as long as I can use my hand, I don't mind if it's numb" where before any numbness was intolerable.  I guess it could by my mind's way of accepting a new reality in little bite-sized manageable pieces.  Has anyone had a similar experience?

Oh and I'm curious about whether or not I'm being too impatient about an experience I had at the crag yesterday.  I was eating some Clif Shot Blocks, which are basically delicious gummy treats.  I offered one to some people and they said "sure, I'll try one."  or "no I'm good thanks."  Fine.  Then I offer one to the third acquaintance and he looks at me and says "I don't eat food like that."  I look at him blankly and he adds "I only eat food like that if I'm running a marathon or something."  Again, I'm stumped.  He further adds "I like to eat "real" food while I'm climbing"  while making eating gestures with his hands like I don't speak English or something.  I was recounting this to Drew on the drive home, saying that it had grated on my nerves.  Was he trying to tell me I had a bad diet? Did he want me to know that he has a good diet and he runs marathons?  wtf?  Part of me wanted to say "wait! I have a good diet! you should see what I've been eating the last 2 months!!"  But another part of me was like "this is stupid"  I think just said nothing.

Why does this annoy me?  Drew said "yeah...some people always have to volunteer information about themselves.  You know, a 'no thank you' probably would have been fine."  I think he hit the nail no the head.  Does anyone (besides me) think I was just being too sensitive?

Anyway, I was excited to get home and eat last night, but upon having finished my delightful HEALTHY salad, I realized that I had left my wallet in Drew's car.  Shit.  Not only that, but Drew lives in Berkeley, and my gas tank is on empty.  Double shit.  So I called several people, and naturally no one picked up the phone, because in Davis, what you do on weekends is...leave Davis.  Fortunately this morning my good friend Lauren loaned me $40 and I had a nice little trip to Berkeley to get my wallet back.  Phew!

6 comments:

J V said...

Wow. Quit trippin out about random dudes who don't like really tasty cubes of sugar stuffs. Mmmmm, sugar stuffs...

shannon said...

personally, i'm on a strict processed-only diet. if it's got less than 10 ingredients i won't touch it.

shannon said...

anything pronounceable is also a no-no

James said...

You're hand's a claw? It should be easier to gouge people's eyes out. You should start with the self righteous dieter.

Justin said...

Honestly, I think he is the one who should be offended. You offered him an energy bar type food! That stuff is gross. It makes me want to vomit. Don't bring that mess around me or I'll throw it in your face.

Also, for more on climbing with a claw check this out

http://www.climbing.com/photo-video/av/climbing_one_handed/

Renee said...

Yes, I think you are being overly sensitive, and I also think I would react exactly the same as you. :)