
So one of the cool things about having a disease that drug companies are pouring billions of dollars into is that you get free shit. A lot of free shit. I got this cool ice pack last night, a book, I've gotten pens, free medication, people calling to check up on me...I had a nurse make a house call, etc. And what's more, as an athlete and someone who "looks really good right now" (i.e. "doesn't look sick", there is potential for me to be a drug company whore: you speak publicly for...ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS PER SPEECH!!!
So...it's something to think about in terms of making money in the future. But I guess I have to be motivational rather than morbid. Perhaps I should work on that.
I switched interferon treatments from one that was 30mcg 1x a week to one that is a higher dose and administered every other day. Since the interferon lasts in your body for 48 hrs, I'll have a more even blood level, so hopefully my hand will decide to come back into the fold rather than continuing to rebel. I mean, I can appreciate a little rebellion and all, but this is ridiculous. I thought we were a team! I feel so betrayed. But I digress. The new injection comes with a little autoject device that is pretty neat. It injects you AND plunges in the medicine. I find that this is far preferable to the intra-muscular large needles that I manually inserted and plunged into my muffin tops.
Hopefully this medication (Betaseron: beta interferon 1b) will prevent my brain from having "black holes", like in the picture above. These black spots begin as white spots, which are "active lesions" where my T-cells are attacking the myelin. Hopefully the immune response stop so that my body can re-myelinate. I checked out a few textbooks (Clinical Neuroimmunology, Immunobiology) to further educate myself about the disease process and the drugs. Maybe I'll cure myself.
whoa! A nurse from a Betaseron support program called Beta Plus just called me to check up on me. Crazy.
8 comments:
i just read an article in newsweek about people who have this mental disorder that leads them to want to amputate healthy limbs from their bodies- one guy cut off his own hand with a power tool. perhaps it's time to start making casual threats to your hand?
did you get a chance to read this article on the Alpinist website...
http://www.alpinist.com/doc/_print/web08s/wfeature-altman-lotus-flower
http://www.alpinist.com/doc/_print/
web08s/wfeature-altman-lotus-flower
no haven't checked it out. I heard something about some other drug company sponsored climbers going on an expedition ( I thought to Alaska) that turned out to be a total disaster...
My mom's ex-husband worked as an emergency room doctor. He got all kinds of crap from the drug companies Pens, these funny little gym bags, pen flashlights. He ordered a case of viagara once and got a ruler with it.
"But I guess I have to be motivational rather than morbid. Perhaps I should work on that." That's really funny. Even the doppelganger thought so.
Hi Mandi,
I LOVE your blog. Very cool!!
I don't check the Carnival mailbox too often so just now saw your submission for this week's Carnival of MS Bloggers.
I laughed hard at the potential drug company whore - $1000/speech for looking good - not bad. Too bad I never had the looks or physical ambitions to draw the drug companies to my door.
I'm assuming that it was Betaseron who thought about hiring you. They do a lot of patient promotional stuff and some of it is pretty sneaky.
I've read enough of your blog to realize that you were just diagnosed in April. Just six months in so far. For me, the first year was the most difficult. Lots of physical things going on and even more emotional crap to sort through.
Hey, can I copy your photo on the side of the cliff to accompany your post this week? I think it would go great with the Acme Needle 'promo'?
Very nice to meet you. Lisa
Oops!! I meant to change profiles. Here's the one which leads back to my blog, Brass and Ivory, and the Carnival of MS Bloggers.
Lisa
I think, Shannon, you may be reffering to Ash Williams in Evil Dead II who cut off his hand because it was trying to kill him and replaced it with a chain saw?
I had something else to say but now my mind is full of evil dead chasing through cabin in the woods..
Post a Comment