Friday, February 6, 2009

A Rocknasium Rant

okay, sorry Justin, but I'm a little peeved right now after attempting to climb at the Rocknasium Friday night comp.  

It was SO FREAKIN' CROWDED!!!!  Seriously.  

Partly it's me...I just don't like big sweaty crowds (I never moshed in the '90s)...but it was kind of insane.  There weren't enough problems, in my opinion, or enough topropes.  Granted, this is a small space, and I'm sure that they try to make the best of it...but it felt even smaller tonight.  After I did 2 boulder problems and waited about 20 minutes to try 2 routes, I decided not to waste my energy and go to one of the Touchstone gyms tomorrow instead.  Disappointing.  On the other hand, all I really want to do is get a good workout.  So it makes sense that I would be better served going somewhere else.

I feel kind of bad that I couldn't muster up the psyche and get over my negative attitude, but I couldn't.  It's frustrating being psyched to climb and not being able to due to crowds.  I guess next time I'll know better.

I think that I've also been spoiled by climbing at Pipeworks.  I'm sure that if I climbed at Rocknasium, I'd learn to enjoy it...but maybe not.  I'm not a huge fan of the route-setting, and the holds are SLICK!!!  Hopefully they can put my 15$ "donation" (I consider it a donation because I left without beer and before the pizza arrived) towards some new holds.  It would be a worthy investment for them.

One more thing. I'm going to go ahead and say it, and there is NO ARGUMENT THAT CAN CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE:  THE  ROUTE GRADES AT THE ROCKNASIUM ARE RETARDED!!  What the fuck?!

Gym climbing has become a problem for me.  I find it so difficult to even see the lines...I miss holds, can't read the beta, mix up thin orange tape with thick orange tape...are the features on?  Why is this sloper so slick?!

On the (small) positive side, it was good to see folks like Renee, Vicken and Sarah.  In addition, I have been reminded of why the Touchstone gyms - Pipeworks in particular - are so rad.  It must be hard being a small business in Davis and trying to compete with the Touchstone gyms.  I'd like to support a local Davis gym, but I have more fun with the corporate giant.  I am a bad, bad person...

No comments: