Ethics of genetic testing. Patenting genes. The public interpretation of science literature making claims about single gene regions causing X percent increase in disease or condition Y. Government + personal genomics companies...
Mushrooms. I'd like to be able to find and ID and consume more species/subspecies.
Biodiversity. I'm always fascinated by photos of newly described species, or photos of really really small things. Also see here and here. Bizzare life history traits are interesting too.
Genomics and new technologies for obtaining whole-genome sequences. How does it work, but more importantly, what do you do with all of this data? When the human genome was sequenced, it was a big deal. Now it is b-o-r-i-n-g. What's next?
Epigenetics and post-transcriptional processing - Here's a nice New York Times spread.
And finally (well, not really, I just have to end the post at some point), how will science figure into the next administration. Here's a nice recap of the newly appointed science folks.
No comments:
Post a Comment