Friday, December 19, 2008

Movies that scared the S*** out of me




So I came across the above image on my googlereader page today from the website ugly overload.  When I first looked at it, nothing really registered.  Upon closer reflection however,  I realized that it scares the crap out of me, partly because it reminds me of this:
This is the poster from the movie Ghoulies.  Here are two more pics of the little monster (I think the second one is from Ghoulies II):
Images from here and here.

Point being, the snub-nosed monkey reminded me of movies that scared the crap out of me as a kid.  I mean, imagine the terror when you are 8 and you are thinking about sitting on a toilet and a monster coming up to eat your bum.  

So Ghoulies in turn reminded me of other movies that scared me as a kid.  So here it is:

List of Top Movies That Scared The Crap Out of Mandi:
1.  Candyman
2. Gremlins
3. Ghoulies (not sure I ever watched it, but the concept is frightening enough, and I still remember talking about it with my sister)
4. Ghostbusters II - why 2 and not 1?  No clue.  I think it was the pink goo that tried to grab Sigourney Weaver's character and her baby out of the bathtub (maybe I get freaked out about things coming out of plumbing), or maybe it was the evil painting.  Whatever, my Dad had to take me out of the theater I was so gripped.
5.  Poltergeist

So what movies scared you?

Update, I polled my housemate and she said she's still scared dogs because of Cujo.

4 comments:

James said...

I still have nightmares about Steven King's "It"

casey said...

a couple really scared the crap out of me when i was little
1) poltergeist, FOR SURE
2) beetlejuice! no joke, especially the part at the end where his head shrinks
3) silence of the lambs.. the part at the end where she's followed by buffalo bill in IR glasses? yikes.

oh yeah- i was actually attacked by a ghost in real life in indian creek.

Justin said...

I second the "It" nomination. Also, "Killer Clowns From Outer Space," "Candyman" and I saw part of "The Twilight Zone" movie and I think I'm still traumatized.

shannon said...

I just watched Terminator 2 last night, and remembered how much it scared the crap out of me when I was 12 - I had nightmares for like 3 weeks - something about those apocalyptic robots and nuclear armageddon. I had a pretty hyperactive imagination when I was a kid.

Also, my uncle let me watch Poltergeist when he was babysitting me when I was 2 or 3 - terrifying.

I wasn't a child at the time, but after seeing the Ring in college, my roommates and I all slept with our doors open for a few nights afterwards...

And Casey was in fact attacked. I heard her screams. Hilarious.