Sunday, October 17, 2010

brunch!

I'm having a few people over for brunch this morning, mostly so I can make donuts.  Donuts are not the sort of thing you want to make for yourself...

I've been sport climbing outside again, which is fun!  I haven't really climbed that much this summer, so I was pleased to send a new .12b and a new 11d/.12a (which is probably .11c).  Those were both at Mayhem.  I went to Star Wall yesterday and got on Bucko, which I hadn't tried in a couple of years. I think it will go pretty soon. It's a cool route and it shares the start with Bronco, which is a solid .12d.  The goal is to send them both before it gets too cold and wet.  I always follow the crowds and climb in Tahoe over the summer and then move to Sonora in the Fall, but now I'm excited to take advantage of the good temps and the thin crowds.  Star Wall can be such a shit show in the summer...and usually when the days are long I'd rather be in the mountains and not sport climbing.

"The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" is on tv right now. Wow is it bad. I think I saw it in the theater in high school or something like that. I saw a lot of bad movies in the theater in high school. Then again, midnight movies were 5 bucks, and we couldn't get into bars, so why not?

Going back to Star Wall was a reminder of how much people talk about climbing. blah blah blah did you hear about this did you see that article in rock and ice did you watch the Reel Rock Tour.  The answer is no.  I don't look at climbing magazines, climbing websites, or climbing movies.  Period. I might look at a link that someone sends me though.

I had dinner with B-Rad a few months ago and I remember him saying "I love rock climbing but I don't like climbers that much."  I can understand that sentiment, though many of my best friends are climbers. It's a funny thing.  I wonder if I just have very extreme reactions to life events...ever since my relationship with Alex bit the dust I've just been done with it.  I don't know how useful it is to be so stubborn, but it works for me, so there it is. Plus I always leave room for changing my mind. Who knows how I'll feel about the climbing media in a week or a year.  I try not to set hard rules for myself, and generally listen to my gut and do what I feel like doing. I'm old enough to realize that I can't force myself to do things (even though that would be a valuable skill!). At some point I'll get pushed to the point where it's what happens.

Ethan sent me a link to Sonnie Trotter's blog (which I was reluctant to open for reasons described above), and apparently Sonnie quite Facebook too.  I don't know Sonnie at all, and the most I've ever thought about him is when Shannon and I have an argument about whether he's hot or not (NOT! then again, I go for interesting-looking people rather than pretty boys, so I'm biased, but then again, attractiveness is completely subjective anyway babble babble babble).

Ethan has been off of FB for a while and I quit in January. It's funny that it's such a "big deal" to quit. I guess whenever you do something that potentially will cut you off from what's going on, and it's something that everyone else is doing, you kind of have to justify it to yourself (especially when it often seems so difficult to really connect with people in life).  Then you make the decision and looking back, it seems like a non-decision. I talked to Renee about quitting FB a few weeks ago and she was like "I don't think I could do it!".  I was thinking "well, it wasn't really a decision when I did it...it just had to happen." Not a big deal in the end. I can't handle that many people and that much chatter anyway...I'm too much of an introvert.

All that to say that I'm having brunch his morning and making donuts. YUM!

No comments: