I think part of it is that I've worked some stuff out lately in my head. Stuff about work, friends, climbing, life, etc. Maybe I have some sort of clarity of vision for the moment.
I've been toying with the idea of doing a double century ride. There's one in May that goes from Davis to Clear Lake and back, but I think that doing another century ride would probably be wiser. Honestly I can't imagine biking 200 miles in howling winds, rain, etc. I guess at least the SAG vehicles could always deliver you to the finishing dinner and keg if you couldn't make it. I think I would probably destroy myself before I'd give up though, which might not be the best decision given my lack of bicycle experience.
So: anyone want to do a century ride near Davis in the next few months? Yes? RAD!
In addition, I've become psyched on training in the gym again...ok, well bouldering more and doing more post-climbing exercise to keep everything balanced. After doing the bouldering comp, I remembered how much fun it is to work problems with people. I definitely need to boulder with other people, because otherwise I'd get on a problem and try it once or twice, either do it or decide that I couldn't, get bored and move on. When I'm with people though, it's a collective effort. I try much harder, try harder grades, climb for much longer, and have a much better time. It's cool.
Tomorrow I'm going to Gold Wall with the Rodden-ator and Drew. Maybe Stanley will show up, but that's always a crap shoot. I haven't seen Drew in a while, so that should be good. It will also be cool to show Beth the crag, and help her to further appreciate the spectacular rock quality of El Cap. Gold Wall, like Jailhouse, is fun climbing once you pull off all the loose blocks and glue them all back together. It takes a special kind of place for the belayer to wear the helmet more often than the leader.
I haven't climbed outdoors in 2 weeks, and somewhat embarrassingly, I'm excited to see if there are any new mushrooms on the approach to the wall. Fun from start to finish! I guess I'm easily amused.
From Gold Wall I'm going to either Berkeley or Redwood City to spend the night; I'm giving a talk at the Bay Area Conservation Symposium on Saturday. I submitted my abstract spontaneously, partly because the conference is cheap and close, and partly because I'm giving the talk that I gave for my qualifying exam (tui chubs). I like having been in grad school long enough that I have a few Powerpoints on hand to give on short notice. Maybe I'm gaining some Grad School Skillz despite my best efforts...
Then back to Davis for the night, and then back to GW Sunday. I think Shannon should be there, maybe Drew?! Holy shit that would be something. Maybe Townsend? Probably Rachel and Matt too.
So yeah, life is really good right now. Hope I can ride this one out for a while...
By the way, make sure to check out the raging debate on hand jammies. Choose a side, and post a comment that either destroys or boosts Alan's ego.
No comments:
Post a Comment