Monday, May 5, 2008

Food Allergy Blues

So I want to start out by saying that I've always been a bit skeptical of the whole "food intolerance" thing.  And I've also been a bit disdainful of going to restaurants with people who always have a special order.  This is in part because of some family history, and in part because I try to be low key and take considerable pride in having a "gut of steel".  I've even been told before that I play "fast and loose with food safety", which was in reference to the fact that I leave things out of the fridge, eat things past their expiration date, etc.  So yeah, I have an iron gut that can take a lickin'.

Or so I thought.

So, with this whole MS thing there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that diet plays a pretty important part in "flare-ups".  The idea that I have gleaned so far is that a "leaky gut" can allow food particles into the blood stream, which can then potentially cross the blood-brain barrier and cause my immune system to be stupid and attack the myelin around my nerves.  The "leaky gut" is caused by poor digestion, food allergies, etc.

So I got my blood tested for antibodies to certain foods.  The theory goes that if you have antibodies to foods, then you are having an immune reaction.  But who even knows what they are testing your blood to react with.  Is it certain chemicals in the food?  Essence of wheat?  I don't know.  

At any rate, I got my results back and kind of had a tantrum.  Apparently I am "allergic" to wheat/gluten, corn, soy, dairy, almonds, carrots, celery, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, oranges, rice, tomatoes and potatoes.  

Yeah.  So what the hell am I supposed to eat?  I'm kind of bitter about this.  Is it all a crock of poo or is there some use for this information?  The idea is that I should cut out all of the foods for which I tested positive for three months and then reintroduce them one by one.

At any rate, this MS stuff is total bullshit and I'm over it.  I'm ready for something different, like being healthy.  Yeah, that would be cool.

At least I'm not allergic to chocolate.  Maybe there is a God.

4 comments:

shannon said...

thank god for chocolate.

J V said...

I'll take you both out for Chocolate Ice Cream. As soon as I get a paycheck.

shannon said...

she can't eat ice cream you dingbat! DAIRY = no no

J V said...

tofutti. duh.