Thursday, January 5, 2012

Welcome to 2012

That's what somebody said to me when I told them I just bought an iphone.  My 73 year old dad has an iphone, and ipad and a macbook.  He is far more current than me. He also has a lot more money.

I bought an iphone - yay!  So far I like it. People seem to be in love with theirs, so why not join the party? Going into the Apple store in the mall in Sac is kind of interesting - I swear Apple cuts across all sorts of demographic lines. It's a little like Wal-Mart but a hell of a lot more upscale. Even their staff, which is dominated by hipsters, has quite a few folks in the upper age brackets and of all sorts of backgrounds.  What a successful company - it's pretty amazing really.

Speaking of diversity, I had a really interesting conversation with the guy who services my car. Even though I have a (not newer anymore) Volvo, I don't take it to the dealer - I take it to a guy in Davis so I can drop it off and ride my bike to work.

ANYWAY... He's Iranian, and immigrated around the end of the revolution...I think in the early 1980s or so.  I swear when you have time to chat with people, it's always amazing what you find out. The guy who sold me the iphone took classes at ARC (where I teach), and taught ballroom dancing, and is a theater arts/film/english major...and obviously also working for Apple.

As I've gotten older I've become far better at listening to people and being genuinely interested. I guess that's part of growing up. Not that I'm not self-absorbed, but perhaps I'm less self-absorbed than I was in my 20s. And like my friend Jeff says..."I'm so over people trying to be important."  As much as what we're born with, we're a product of our experiences...spending a lot of time with self-absorbed people has altered my priorities. Unfortunately I think that climbing lends itself to a lot of self-absorption.

I'm heading to Las Vegas tomorrow for a little over a week to climb with Crista and the other ladies.  I'm so excited to go to some new crags!  With GIRLS!  I believe there will be bowling too, and probably some dealing with tui chubs for my "project." All in quotes because it's been on the waaaay back burner for a while. But it's close to my heart and every time I get a chance to work on it I get excited about it all over again.

Yeah Vegas!

And off to send Jeff another box of cookies...his were stale by the time he got them. Not ok.

No comments: