People talk a lot of shit about Las Vegas. "It's so gross...blah blah blah." I'd never argue with this, there are definitely aspects of the gross here, but for some reason I really like Vegas. That said, living somewhere and visiting somewhere are completely different. I might feel differently if I moved here.
Crista and Jarrett have completely rolled out the red carpet for me. I feel humbled by their generosity. They've put up with me hanging out in their house, chauffeured and guided me around to the different crags, taken me out to dinner (and even a show!), and have been generally awesome hosts. I hope someday I can repay the favors.
I've gotten to do some other fun things while I'm here, like visit the NDOW offices and dig through their archives looking for information about tui chub in their region. If you don't know anything about agencies or fish, the former sentence is going to be like Greek to you. All you need to know is that I've satisfied the other interests I have while in Vegas. We (Crista and I) also visited the Moapa Valley Wildlife Refuge, which is nearly finished but not yet open to the public. I'm totally a desert fish VIP here. I am so cool. Heh.
Let's see - as far as climbing goes, I've spent two days at Arrow Canyon, which is near Moapa, and I'll be spending my third day at Red Rocks today at the Stratocaster Wall. I enjoy climbing with Crista because she tries hard as hell, is stronger than me, and is also shorter than me. I really have no excuses. Plus she puts me on all the routes that she likes, and can give me beta when I ask. Seriously, she's practically guiding me around here. She'll even hang draws and poof holds. Pretty funny, and hey, I'm not too proud to accept that kind of help.
I've done a couple of .12s, flashed a couple of .11+s (that used to be .12s dammit!) and done a ton of other 5.11s. After flailing at Jailhouse ("I'm going to Flailhouse for the Dreadpoint"), it's a great vacation. I don't even want to try anything harder. I can fall all over the place at my home crag. I prefer to do some actual climbing when I'm on vacation.
I'm half looking forward to getting back and half not. I'm going to be buried under a pile of work when I get back, and I'm not excited about it. I'm already looking forward to May when the smelt and school will be done. Definitely hitting the road.
No comments:
Post a Comment