Sunday, February 6, 2011

It's been a while

I haven't blogged in a while because...well, I haven't. Also I wanted to have something to talk about, other than the standard.

So I sent Cell Block at Jailhouse today, a .13a.  It's cool that I did a .13a, because that grade is hard. It's also cool because now I don't have to feel like I'll never do another one again. It's even more cool because I did the first one right before I got diagnosed. So to do another one almost 3 years later is further validation of how far I've come.

The route is ok, but not awesome.  I tried Alcatraz (.13b!!) and made it up to the first crux and lowered, and then went up Fugitive for the first time since 3 years ago.  That route is still so so rad. I'm not sure what to project next. I'm leaning towards trying Alcatraz a few more times until I decide if it's do-able or I should give up, and then working on the Fugitive extension if it's the latter. Hard to say...one thing I can predict is that I'll be hanging on a rope more and rock climbing less the next few times I go out there. Fun times in project-ville. I'd also like to go to Gold Wall and do some of the routes I haven't done.

Other than climbing at Jailhouse again (now that it's dry), it's been a lot of working, a string of visitors staying over (including Frazier!!), and sunny weather.  I'm glad to be reminded of why I like California - it was pretty grim for about 6 heinous weeks.

And meyer lemons. pounds and pounds of meyer lemons from my advisor's tree.  Meyer lemon gelato, lemon bars, lemon meringue tart, lemon-baked tofu...lemons are coming out of my ears. It's been a banner year for citrus. There are orange and mandarines and grapefruits and pomelos and lemons dripping off of trees all over Davis.  Yet another reason I like California.

No comments: