I bought a plane ticket. Yes I did. I'm flying into Madrid on March 27, meeting up with Ethan and we are getting a rental car and then going wherever the conditions are good. Then I'm flying to Kos on April 9th and staying in Kalymnos until the 24th of April.
Wow I am so so psyched. It gives me a little more motivation when I'm flailing at Jailhouse. I gave up on Alcatraz - too hard, and got back on Haul of Justice - also too hard. The rain will probably get Haul wet, so then I'll get back on Alcatraz. I've been trying to finish the day on Fugitive, but it's effing hard too. I did reredpoing my first 5.12 ever, which was pretty cool. A hold broke on Soap on a Rope. Very sad. I clipped off of that hold. It had a good run (especially for Jailhouse).
I won a (very informal) baking competition today at USFWS. My entry was red velvet whoopie pies. Actually I entered two things, but the whoopie pies won. It's funny because I made them last night after getting back from Jailhouse, but I thought that they were ugly, so I woke up super early and made raspberry-rose almond macarons (they were sort of like this). I didn't intend to make something else, but I couldn't sleep, so why not. I thought they were pretty divine, but people like traditional stuff I guess. The macarons looked weird - they were super pink! But delicious!
I've been thinking a lot about what I'm going to do when I finish, which will probably be in August. I "taught" a one-time seminar for freshmen interested in getting experience with the biological sciences on campus, and both Karrigan and Mariah told me that I did a really good job...I've been wondering if I should get some teaching experience just to see if I might like it or not. Then at least I will know. In addition, the proposal I wrote for continuing research on one of my projects is the top priority for funding for CDFG. Encouraging, but certainly no sure thing. The state or the University can (and has) frozen funds somewhat (seemingly) capriciously. With no sure funding, I need to find another source of funding if I want to continue to do research. Alternatively, my boss at USFWS mentioned the (remote) possibility of getting a half time position there when I finish, which would be good because then I could teach a class (there are openings for lecturers at Sac State), and then work part time and have benefits and all that rad stuff. I might give a guest lecture in Rick's class at American River College before I commit to teaching an entire quarter...I think that teaching is going to be a ton of work. Then again, you get entire summers off, and a month in December. That rules.
I just don't know. I also emailed a researcher in Fort Collins about possible post-doc or research opportunities...we'll see where that goes. I like research, but I don't like the publish or perish ethic, and I don't think I want to be a faculty at a big University. I don't want to be dependent on soft money either. My advisor makes it work, but he's a special case, and he doesn't do research or teach. He spends most of his time finding funding and being an advisor.
Ugh it stresses me out. Doors always open, it's the having faith part that I'm really bad at.
No comments:
Post a Comment