Thursday, February 24, 2011

Too much to do.

Okay I gotta rant here about all the crap I need to do right now. Maybe writing about it will get my shit organized.

1. First of all I reviewed a manuscript and I have to formally enter my (our) comments into the Journal database.  
2. I  have revisions of my manuscript (we already submitted with major revisions, now there are minor revisions). This is going to involve MORE data analysis and calculating statistical crap that I don't have a good handle on.
3. I'm supposed to be training an undergrad to do some of my labwork for me...so I need to organize a time to meet with her and then be there to train her.
4. I'm taking a science writing class and need to write final drafts of a feature article and a press release.  I don't like the press release. I want to quit it.
5. I need to do my taxes and submit my FAFSA. Annoying.
6. I need to finish up a final draft of the recovery plan and 2 five year reviews for my USFWS job before I go to Europe. This means dealing with people. People slow the process down.
7a. I'm STILL collecting data and troubleshooting my phylogenetics project, and I'm going to need to either get out into the field or get researchers from other universities (Oregon and Colorado) to send me samples that I don't have. Totally annoying.
7b. AND apparently the sequencing company picked up a plate today that I set up yesterday, and they don't understand what is where, which means I probably fucked it up somehow, but I'm out of DNA so I either they run it and I get lucky, or they run it and it fails, and then I need to do the stupid PCR, gel running and extraction ALL OVER AGAIN, which takes a full day.
8. I need to LEARN how to manipulate all of this fucking data. What if, in the end, I don't have enough and it was all a waste of time? What if I don't have enough loci? Do I need another gene region? FUUUUuuucckckkcck. I'm meeting with someone tomorrow afternoon to get some help.
9. I need to apply for this part-time lecturer position at Sac State.
10. I need to apply for a travel award to go to AFS in Seattle in September.
11. One of the populations for my pupfish project is unusable because we may have sampled individuals twice. My collaborator says "oh, but you'll know if you genotype the same individual, right?" I theory, but not in a SUPER INBRED FUCKING POPULATION.  Some fish have the EXACT same genotype. Resampling JACKS up the statistics. So we need to get out there and start from scratch with this population and throw out the old samples and all the data that I collecgted from them.
But these fish are DORMANT in the WINTER. Balls.
12. My house is a disaster area. I need clean clothes. I need new socks.
13. At some point, I need to FUCKING GRADUATE. And deal with my parents and possibly my grandma and uncle who are going to have no clue about what to do for graduation weekend. Please please please don't make me be a tour guide.

All this after going all day on Tuesday from cross training from 7-8am to Sacramento to work for 4 hours, then back to campus to attend a class. Then spending 10 hours in the lab yesterday, then waking up today at 5:30am to go to Sac for a X-training class, then coming back to campus for a meeting to discuss a manuscript, and then driving to the Farm in Putah Creek to do a SLEWS field day and lay irrigation lining with some highschool students. We got rained on.

Okay now I'm going to go over this list and italicize the things that I need to do before the end of the weekend. That seems somewhat more manageable.

Must triage. must triage.

What I REALLY want to do is keep eating spoonfuls of peanut butter and chocolate chips.  Doesn't that sound way better?

No comments: