Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Pruning the tree

Someone mentioned to me that they had "pruned a dead branch off of their tree" and was referring to a person that they didn't want to see or talk to anymore.  I thought this was an amazing analogy.  

So I have decided to prune a few branches off of my tree.  I think it has finally occurred to me after this year that I have spent a lot of time climbing with people who suck, just because I want to go rock climbing.  On the flip side, I have climbed with a lot of awesome people.  So I want to put it out there that I love most of the people I climb with.  There have simply been a few notable exceptions.

I think that I am still willing to climb with people who aren't my best friends, but I'm trimming out the folks who are disrespectful to women, are flakes, and people who are unmotivated or negative.  Life is way too short.

Speaking of being disrespectful to women, I've noticed recently that some career climbers climb and relate to women with the same paradigm.  Women are like routes, you should attempt to do as many as possible.  "It would be proud to hook up with so-and-so".  Proud like doing a hard route.  It's kind of fucked, and I'm going to be more aware of it in the future.  

Alright, that's my rant for now.