

The Science Blogs weekly recap is always fodder for my blog. You should check it out. Anyway, here is a transgenic kitty. His name is Mr. Green Genes. Those silly scientists! I mean, they spend a lot of money of fruit flies in France! FRUIT FLIES! I kid you not!
This comes after I introduced a speaker for the Animal Science seminar yesterday (I was volunteered for this committee...). His talk was entitled: "Cloned livestock for food: hazards and benefits" Kind of interesting. Did you know that Mad Cow disease is not really a disease? It's more of an interaction between cow genes and human genes (prion). You have to have a particular amino acid at a particular site in a particular protein to be susceptible to it. In fact, the way that it works is sort of a domino effect...reminds me of Ice 9 from Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle. Crazy.
1 comment:
I love the ScienceBlogs. Abel Pharmboy at Terra Sig is my personal favorite. Good stuff, those science dudes.
Post a Comment