So with that background, let's add some interpersonal drama. Every now and then we will inevitably have to work with or be around or live with or whatever with someone who's brain simply does not work like normal people. My advisor calls these people "unreasonable people." Often you can just work around people like this and try to ignore them and not depend on them for anything, but sometimes you get drawn into a situation that is uncomfortable. In other words, sometimes these people insert themselves into your life and you don't have much choice in the matter.
In cases like these, where I'm provoked, it's easy to want to dive into the fray and defend myself, or strike back, or discuss the situation with friends. Seriously, it's all I can do not to get my back up. But I try to keep in mind that the very best way to be is polite and nice (thank you Southern upbringing) and to remember that, again, some people are unreasonable, and some people are just not going to like me. I'm ok with that; I'm not perfect. In addition, chances are these people will get bored with me and find themselves in another situation that takes up their energy soon enough. And like my Dad says "you can't win a pissing contest with a skunk."
So for all of this, trying not to let things bother me, etc., I still end up feeling very immature for being in a situation like this in the first place. Crap! Haven't I outgrown this sort of thing? I suppose that the only thing that I can do is try to take the high road and not strike back when someone is confrontational, even if it is deliciously tempting. Obviously I will always have some growing up to do and lessons to learn. Don't we all?
I do have to say that my life in the last few months has really made me appreciate all of the wonderful people in my life - and there are a lot of you! While it can be uncomfortable, I am always grateful for these transition times because they truly do make you gain some perspective. Sometimes I feel like I don't deserve the generosity and love and support of the people around me...so thank you.
On to more exciting things: heading back up to Tuolumne this weekend, hopefully Thursday night. I talked to Karl and Audrey last night and I think they will join me, which will be a blast because they are awesome. Drew and I were discussing the possibility of going to Medlicott in the morning and doing a bit of sport climbing, and then heading over to Electric Africa for a toproping session the afternoon (if there is no thunderstorm of course). Saturday I'm not sure, but Audrey is getting me psyched to boulder (oh boy), or it might be fun to do something longer and easier (I love those, but my new criteria is that the descent be less exciting than the climbing). Sunday had some discussion of climbing at Private Property with Rob Miller and Lucho, but I'll probably be knackered by then and it's all 5.12 and over, so who knows.
SICK!
1 comment:
In about a week or so I may be getting off work about the time that you post your blogs...far out.
And oh-by-the-way... good seeing you the other day.
Post a Comment