Thursday, July 10, 2008

Drive



All of the people who have left a big impression on my life have been "driven".  Driven by something that could not be denied, driven by something that inspired or motivated or made them scared to go against.

I think that my father is driven by a good fight.  I think that I can say with a fair amount of certainty that he is willing to fight for any perceived injustice.  He burns with passion for a battle, and he'll see it through to the end.  This has some benefits and some problems.  He has accomplished great things, but who wants to wear their armor all the time?

For me, I think I might be driven by the fear of nothingness.  Kind of reminds me of the Neverending Story.  This is the definition of the Nothing from the Neverending story according to wikipedia:

The Nothing: A dark mysterious force that is destroying Fantasia. It is made from the misery of those with no hopes and no dreams. The only way it can be destroyed is if the Empress receives a new name from an Earthling Child.

So I need to find an Empress and an Earthling Child.  Shit.  And get past these guys:
My friend Molly says she is driven by guilt.  I'm not sure if she is joking or not, but I can understand that as well.  You want to accomplish and do and be a good person so that you don't feel guilty for not doing those things.  Or guilty because you have disappointed or not lived up to your potential or expectations.

So I would say that none of us are living in the moment.  In fact I often think that I am actively avoiding the moment unless it involves action.  Ha!

I'll leave you with one more image from the movie.  I kind of identify with him right now.
What are you guys driven by?  Not being thrown in a dumpster by a bunch of bullies?  Kittens?  God?  Climbing hard, and if so, harder than what or just hard in general?

Have a good weekend. I'm escaping the hell that is the Central Valley right now and heading to Tuolumne.

4 comments:

James said...

We watched the Never Ending Story last night. I like the racing slug, who leaves a trail of dust everywhere he goes, and the rock biter, who loves limestone with a hint of quartz.

Adam said...

I am more of a Goonie, myself.

Justin said...

I love that movie, and the fear of the Nothing definitely is a motivation for me as well.

Audrey said...

I used to be terrified of that black wolf thing...what was it's name Gamok? I think I've seen The Neverending Story about 500 times.
Word on the Goonies.