Sunday, April 27, 2008

Who has more misfortune?

While driving back from Yosemite I decided to stop at Trader Joe's and buy some stuff.  The guy who was ringing up my groceries asked me "how was your weekend?" I said, "oh, pretty good."  I then proceeded to ask him about his weekend, and he said "terrible, just terrible."  So I said "I'm sorry, I hope it wasn't that bad."  He says "it was".  

I can't believe I did this, but I said "Well I bet it wasn't as bad as my week last week."  He said "I bet it was."  I said "I bet it wasn't."  He asked, "what happened to you?"  I said "I got diagnosed with multiple sclerosis."  He looked stricken.  

Following that, I said "yeah, it's pretty bad.  Somebody would have to have died for you to have a worse week...uh oh. I hope no one died...did they?"  "No, but my fiance left me."

I paused for a moment..."well, at least you can get over that..." and then he said "well, we'll see about that."

And then I punched him in the face.  Just kidding...I kind of felt bad for the guy.

Yikes!  I can't believe I was competing for the greater misfortune!  We both ended up laughing about it...uncomfortably.  What a weird exchange.  

Anyway, the valley was a lot of fun even though I didn't do too much climbing.  It was just so nice to be out and see everyone.  Maybe I'll take the quarter off and just go rock climbing.  Quitting my job sounds pretty good right now.

2 comments:

Alan Moore said...

ha! that's awesome. you gave the guy a verbal misfortune lashing. ouch.

shannon said...

yay! a new blog to distract me at work.

it was good to see you!