Tuesday, April 29, 2008

MRIs and sex





Ok so I might have already shared this with some of you, but I still find it intriguing and worth sharing with others.  Plus, John told me "less prednisone and more pictures."  So here are some pictures (via someone else's blog).  I wish I had a photo of myself getting a spinal tap, like Alan suggested.  That would have been sick.

Around the time I got my first MRI I was tooling around on the internet and did a google image search of MRI so I could see what some of the images look like.  I came across this and was immediately fascinated.  Not only because someone got funded (wow!), but because MRI machines require you to be completely still or the images will be blurry.  How did this work? Turns out that they had to give the men Viagra because they were "unable to function" while inside the MRI machine.  Not too surprising I guess.  The images are pretty crazy too-I admit I had to look at them for a while to figure out what the heck was going on.

At any rate, if you guys are interested in science and the battle against ID and creationism, you should check out the Pharyngula blog.  I added a link to the right.

I'm also adding the "brainbow" pictures that I found a few months ago.  Amazing!  Now I just gotta figure out how to put the pictures where I want them.  I'm still learning about this blogging thing.

In other news, I'm not going to Jailhouse today because Dan Urban bailed on me.  Oh well.  I guess I'll go to the gym tonight and suck instead.  

In addition, good news/bad news.  I got the results from my blood tests and lumbar puncture (spinal tap) back, and they are consistent with the diagnosis of MS.  Which is good, because that means it's not something else (which could potentially be worse).  I also got the results back from my evoked potentials testing.  This is where they hook up electrodes to your back and head, and then stimulate the nerves in your feet and hands to see how fast the signal is transmitting up and down your body.  Mine are completely normal, meaning that we caught it early and no damage has been done.  This gives me an excellent prognosis, and I am optimistic.  Now if I could just get off the steroids, life would be good.  Now if I could just win the lottery...

By the way, apologies if this is becoming the "MS blog."  I'm sure that when this all settles down I'll write about it less, but right now it's on my mind.  Thanks to everyone for all of your support and comments.

5 comments:

shannon said...

"older than 18 years, intact uterus and ovaries, and a small to average weight/height index"

that means no fat people in the MRI tube.

sunsh said...

interesting stuff about the female orgasm pics. i couldn't understand what i was looking at at all. i need to get my nose out of the plant anatomy books and start looking in a mirror.

Alan Moore said...

now i want a photo of you getting a spinal tap during sex. woh, HOT!

Mandi said...

in an MRI machine?

Alan Moore said...

no, i would be ok with a spinal-tap sex photo anywhere. perhaps in the forest, where you could get caught at any time! in a school girl outfit.