Saturday, December 24, 2011

Teaching is...interesting

I've been meaning to write down a few thoughts about my first-ever semester of teaching.  And since I'm beating the shit out of some whisky-flavored marshmallows and it takes about 20 minutes, I have time. Awesome.

So one of the things that I was surprised to realize is that the students pretty much make up 50% of the good and the bad of a class. When I was planning the course, since I had no idea what to expect, I imagined a group of automatons who would just sit there and listen, or students who would argue with me about evolution or grades or whatever. In other words, I expected the worst. However the students really made the experience fun. They were psyched, engaged, and I became fond of most of them. There were a few annoying folks, but I suppose that is to be expected. Even the annoying ones weren't so bad.

When I was giving the final and students were turning in their papers, several of them thanked me, wanted to shake my hand or even give me a hug. It was pretty awesome, and made it all seem worth it. They really did make the class what it was.

I also realized, as I was leaving the final and locking up the classroom for the last time this semester, that I almost always feel really good after teaching. Even if, on the drive from Davis to Carmichael I was dwelling on something or upset about something, I'd forget about it during class and just have fun interacting with the students. It was a pretty cool experience. It's also cool to think that now I have another marketable skill - teaching. I by no means think that I am a great teacher, but it's something that I can do if a job opportunity ever comes up, or I decide that I'd like to teach at a community college. It would be pretty awesome to have so many holidays, that's for sure!

Ok I'm back after a day. I had my first "Feast of the Seven fishes" at a friend's house. Dungeness, smoked salmon, smoked trout, lobster tails, shrimp and herring. Ok so that's six fishes, but who's counting? This is a good tradition (as long as you leave the religion out, which we did). The lobster was awesome! I naturally brought dessert - a vegan dark chocolate pomegranate cake. Apparently for folks with milk allergies, you can make ganache with soy milk and you'd never know the difference. Oh yeah and bourbon flavored marshmallows, which turned out really well.

Now I'm finishing up the best pecan pie recipe I've ever made (maple star-anise pecan pie) to take to the ranch. I feel a little guilty that my parents showed up yesterday and I chose to eat lobster rather than whatever weird food my weird aunt was going to serve...but fuck it-I'd always rather eat lobster.

No comments: