Thursday, January 13, 2011

Fun at the dentist.

I've been super busy in the last week, running around like an idiot.  So what else is new.

Anyway, Monday I drove up to Chico with Lauren and Kurt to go to the Northern California Botanical Symposium.  It was nice to go to a different kind of conference than a fish conference.  Plant people are way more serious than fish people. I'm convinced that most fish people just like to get wasted and go fishing - the conferences reflect this.  Plant people can get into the nitty gritty of taxonomy and watching pollinators, which requires a well-padded ass for sitting down a lot.  I'm not sure what my point is with that, other than I observed that plant people are different than fish people.

For dinner there was a nice banquet (plant people are apparently better-funded than fish people), and then in honor of my 31st birthday we went to the Sierra Nevada Brewery and got their tasting flight - 16 beers in 2oz glasses. I'd already had a few glasses of wine, so I was quite jolly.  They gave me a free brownie.

Somehow we ended staying up until 1, and Kurt gave us both back rubs in his underwear.  Somehow it seemed appropriate at the time. It was like a slumber party!

Tuesday we drove back and I crashed for a few hours before waking up at 3:10 for my 3:10 science writing class. I've never ridden my bike to campus faster.  It was impressive, if I do say so.

But on to the title of this blog post: today I went to the dentist to have a cavity filled.  I was all prepped to go after having my lower left jaw numbed when the dentist said "Mandi, I numbed the wrong side of your mouth."  I think I said "oh my god."

Then I said "can I have free gas?"

She said "That's the least I can do."

So then I had the other side of my mouth numbed and got free nitrous oxide.  I wanted to add another drug to my life list, and if it's free, why not?  She also gave me a Starbucks gift card. I was a little pissed though.  At least it wasn't an amputation.

Thanks for all of the lovely birthday wishes - it was a good one.

No comments: