I'm finally starting to feel more comfortable with the climbing here. I guess it just takes a bit to get used to a new area, especially if you haven't been sport climbing on rock. Rifle is notoriously distinct, and the feet are notoriously glassy. I've switched back to my trusty Miura velcroes, and I already feel a bit better on my feet.
I've worked Modest Mouse (I originally though the name was Mighty Mouse, but it's Modest Mouse) to the point where I can do everything except that one effing reachy crux. I know it's doable for shorter people, just not maybe for me. I've since abandoned it, even though I think it's an awesome route. For this trip I would rather try other things. So I've been sampling a number of routes. I tried Espresso and couldn't do the boulder problem at the bottom. I tried Sexy Beast and there's a pocket that makes me feel like I'm going to rip a tendon, so that's out too. The latest thing I tried was Philology, but I couldn't figure out the boulder problem at the bottom. I was third day on when I tried it though, so I'd like to try it again after today's rest day.
I haven't been thinking about marriage/kids/the things I was thinking about in the previous post lately. I've settled into Rifle life. Mostly I'm thinking about the couple of intense conversations I've had with Bill. Conversations with him are intense indeed, and always provide ample food for thought.
I've re-done a few routes I'd done before, which is nice. Bottom Feeder, Cold Cuts, 80 feet of Meat, Defenseless Betty several times. Overall my fitness is improving for climbing all day. It's disappointing I'll have to leave soon, though I did extend my trip for 2 weeks!
Joe is coming back this weekend and Anne is back, so partners abound. I'm trying not to feel like I suck at rock climbing since I can't do all the moves on 12cs and all the women here are working and sending 13+. I have to remember that Rifle in September during the week brings the cream of the crop. Badasses and superstars. I'm a competent and decent climber in my own right, but nothing like these amazing ladies! It's simultaneously inspiring and dejecting. The older I get the less dejected and the more inspired I get though, so I have that to look forward to.
Tomorrow I'll try Philology again, and if I can figure everything out I'll leave my draws on it. I also want to finish Carruthers (12a), which requires hanging the draws. The other things I've been considering are the Butterfly Effect, which has draws, and Extended Family. I'm running out of time so we'll see what I have the energy for.
No comments:
Post a Comment