Good way to start the morning - sunrise over Mono Lake with a fire to make the colors pop
I hung out at the Mobil most of the afternoon - reading my book (Girls). Then Mecia and Lucho showed up, as planned. Early bedtime, early morning, and a last minute decision (aren't climbing decisions always last minute?) and Lucho got his way and we headed out to the Polly Dome boulders.
These boulders are not in Charlie's guide. In fact, he admitted he's never been out there. Lucho, Creg, and some others developed these blocks a few years back. We only got lost a few times on the approach. Basically you park at South Whiz Dome parking, and then head past south whiz and somewhat to the left... Well actually the beta is to go with Lucho. Good luck otherwise. The first area was fun, and I did a fun V4/5.
Here's Mecia on the first V4/5 at the Polly Dome boulders
Then we wandered around for a while until Lucho found these boulders he'd been to a few years prior. Lots of fun boulders here! Tons to do. Unfortunately we didn't stay long as Lucho wanted to go to Tioga and we were all afraid to try to hike out without him.
Here's a video of the view along the way to the second cluster of boulders. I had time to take this shot because we lost Mecia and Carolyn on the way...
However we did stay long enough for me to do another V4/5. So all in all it was a decent day. The boulders are good, but the approach is trail-less and about 40 minutes. Then Lucho took off for Tioga and the rest of us went to the Gunks. I tried Cellulite Eliminator and got shut down just like last summer. However Katie L. told me her beta - grab the knob left, then cross right to the slot. I was trying to go left to the knob and then bump to the slot. Then basically getting stuck. I'd love to go back and try it again with different beta.
Here's me using the wrong beta to try cellulite eliminator. My cellulite has not yet been eliminated...
Today we went to the Pennyroyal boulders. I tried this "v6" called Prince of Thieves. V6 is in quotes because it's generally agreed that this one is tough for a 6. Last summer I looked at it and immediately decided it was too hard, and too steep. I hadn't been bouldering, and I hadn't been climbing on anything steep. It was fun to get on it and make progress today. I figured out a bunch of the moves, and linked many of them. I've definitely refreshed my memory of what it's like to climb on steep rock. I owe that to South Africa.
I'd love to get back out there this summer. It's critical to have plans to boulder with fun people. Otherwise it's hard to rally to make the long drive. I'd hate to get out here and end up with people who are way stronger than me, not that fun, or have nobody to climb with at all. There's obviously tons to do out here (hiking and whatnot) but when you want to climb, you want to climb. While I love hiking, it is a poor substitute want to climb.
Today I head into Silver King Creek to do some Paiute cutthroat electrofishing. One of my favorite places! I'm at the Meadowcliff hotel the night before, which is a special treat as the summer olympics are going on, and I don't have a TV at home. I also get to see a lot of attack ads directed towards Hillary. Ah Nevada.
No comments:
Post a Comment