Since I've done some cool stuff lately, even though I haven't blogged in forever (it became too depressing when I got sick back in March), I figured I'd sort it out and put something on the record.
I made it car to car in 10 hours, which is 2 under what I'd anticipated. The weather was great, I didn't see anyone all day except for three 40-something dudes on the actual ridge. The typical response from older guys is "are you out here all by yourself?" Yes. I am. I'm a strange bird. The typical response from younger dudes is to generally ignore me. Oh yeah and I saw a freakin' platoon of guided guys heading up the slabs for an overnight at Upper Boy Scout Lake. They were going to spend the night and then get guided up the Mountaineer's route. I applaud anyone for getting outside, but I have to say (with some shame) that I feel superior for doing something harder. All by myself. Yes, I'm a terrible egotistical person. Oh well.
A little bit of info for future reference: I approached via the rockwell variation (described on summit post) where you go up the canyon from Upper Boy Scout Lake rather than turning right at the lake. This reduces the amount of scree you have to climb, but deciding where to start up the blocky chute takes a bit of a leap of faith. At any rate it was fine, and I descended via the normal approach. I cannot imagine going up the scree. It would be...not fun.
I did the East Ridge of Mt. Russell Saturday. Here are some pics (all taken with iphone):
The iphone got fogged up in my pocket
looking up the Rockwell Variation chute
looking down the scree that I pawed my way up (again, Rockwell Variation approach)
Mt. Whitney looks cool from this angle
looking at Mt. Carillon from the lower part of the East Ridge
A cool lake on the north side of the Russell-Carillon col - the ridge does have some exposure!
another shot of the pretty lake
looking back at the East Ridge
East Ridge again
I can't remember what this is
summit shot - camera is facing East
summit shot, camera facing west
another lake shot. It was so blue!
Mt. Carillon
Mount Whitney
Mount Whitney - massive!
East Ridge
chocolate milk. nom.
East Ridge
glad I didn't come up this shit.




















No comments:
Post a Comment