Thursday, May 19, 2011

Mushrooms!

I'm so excited about another mushroom season - this time morels.  I went up towards Marysville last weekend with Ben (of the pig-ass-shooting fame) and his wife Summer. We'd located a fire around some random lake in Yuba county. We found the fire ok and pulled over and got out of the car. Within the first half hour we found a really good flush of morels - which was great because none of us had ever found any before.  They were in a north-facing drainage.  After we collected the shrooms, we wandered around for another three hours or so and found nothing. The first flush gave us some false confidence I guess.



The first two nights I sauteed some with bacon and arugula and ate them over penne with some shaved parmesan. Man that was good.  Last night I decided to try something different, so I made "pizzettas":

I forgot to turn off the auto-white balance.  Whatever.  The pizzas were really good, and the dough was thin and crispy.

After we found the mushrooms, we stopped and bought some eggs from someone with very cute chickens.  Chickens are so great. I mean, look at them:
Great, right?  By the way, if you have any affection for chickens whatsoever you should watch the PBS documentary "The Natural History of Chickens."  It's hysterical and you won't regret it. It's all on youtube, but I can't embed.  Here's part 1/6. Just watch it. Trust.

Hmm...other than that, I'm trying to bribe/harass/cajole/beg my friend in El Portal to take me to the spot where he found a bunch of morels. If he doesn't, then all of the photos that he sent me via his phone of the morels he found will just make him a mean mean person.

Oh. right. rock climbing. Had a fucking great day at Gold Wall last Saturday - I feel fitter than ever...still. I wonder how long it will last. I'm going back with Addison again Friday. Hopefully I will send Golden Showers. It's a great route, but it hurts my shoulder a bit. You can see why here:
High gaston = shoulder distress

However, don't I look goooooooood?  Just kidding, but this photo is so funny:

No comments: