Friday, July 2, 2010

Cake contest

I made a cake for the FWS summer picnic/"staff meeting".  I like working for FWS.  These people seem to like having fun...

Anyway, there was an informal cake competition, and since you really do need an occasion to make a fancy layer cake (does one ever make a layer cake just for themselves? I don't think so...though I wouldn't criticize them if they did!) I made a layer cake.

Marbled lemon-blueberry butter cake. Here is the first layer, accompanied by a blueberry preserve that I made (and an empty package of butter and other stuff lying around):


Here is the finished creation, at the picnic:


Another shot, with a slice taken out:


Finally, after it had been mauled by the masses:


Sadly, I didn't win.  Though the judging was sort of informal and disorganized and chaotic, and there was a vote missing in the end (?)...The raspberry chocolate cake to the right won.  I guess classics are classics for a reason.  It was a fine cake though, and very pretty I think.  I'd make it again for sure.

No comments: