I went to a small southern k-12 private school (graduate class N=69). Though it was in the south and we were all white (except for a few that got lost in the sea of white), mercifully, it was secular. The kids were spoiled brats, myself included.
The boys I went to high school with were into nicknames. I don't know why I was reminded of this...I think I was watching a No Reservations and Tony Bourdain was eating somewhere with somebody named Slobodan. It jarred my memory that one of the boys had "Slobodan" or "Slobey" as a nickname...I don't remember who it was.
Then there was a guy whose last name is Lamb...his nickname was "Tough Lamb." A boy named Madison somehow got named "Texas Pete", or "Tex."
Greg Bird was "Krek Bird"...Walter Hagan (Spawn of Satan...wait, that's my nickname for him) was Bo Hagan. I think he was called Bo as a kid. He also had the nickname "Teddy" because apparently he fucked his teddy bear at some point. He sucked. And then he tried to be my friend on Facebook. I mean, really? This underscores yet again that Facebook can be pretty silly. Then again people can be really silly...but I digress.
One of the best was "Smuckers". I can't even remember his real name. Jay Degenhart was nicknamed "J-Ral" or "Jerrold", and it was said with a pretty thick drawl...thicker than was natural, which was pretty thick in Savannah, GA.
A girl named Kimbrough got the unfortunate nickname "Got Problems". This was surprising, since most of the nicknames were given to boys. Though another girl whose last name is Watts got nicknamed - no brainer - Twats.
Those of us without nicknames (I didn't need one...I mean, come on) counted ourselves lucky.
It's kind of funny thinking about everyone's real names...I keep thinking of more nicknames too: Tim Venghaus = Mengelhead. Guess that's better then Mengele...but not by much.
Our school had a good reputation for having smart kids...and I think it was deserved. Looking back though, there were a bunch of dumber-than-rocks kids. I wonder where they ended up.
Finally, what is it with men and nicknames? Jeff of East Side Bouldering had a bunch of nicknames for the people he worked with..."Dumb Girl", "Fat Bastard", and "Front Butt".
John works with a guy he dubbed "Nipple Man"...I think he has funny nipples or something...I have no idea.
I think people who hate their jobs excel at nicknaming. I have one for the lady who has a cube near mine: Crazy Coughy Lady. Of course when I say it out loud, it sounds like "crazy coffee lady", but whatever.
She sounds kind of like the whimpering Skeksis in the Dark Crystal.
1 comment:
this is one of your funniest posts ever
Post a Comment