Monday, September 13, 2010

I'm getting a garden

I don't know why it took me so long. My mom and I gardened when I was a kid and we were living on the island...which was the first 18 years of my life. A labmate encouraged me to get a plot on campus, so I'm going on the tour tomorrow to pick out a plot. I think I'm going to get Vicken to share it with me...

Winter crops - carrots, greens, chard, cilantro, onions, garlic, cabbage (meh), peas, beets...

It's a bit of a pain that it's not in my backyard, but the bonus is that there is irrigation and you get a pretty big plot with lots of sun. Until I get a house that can provide that, this is probably the next best thing.

In other goings-on, I went to a "new" bouldering area called Burst on Saturday with Jake and Adam - I don't think it was worth the drive, but it's super pretty up there. Yesterday I went to the Sacramento Farmer's Market (hectic) and bought a lot of stuff - omg it's so cheap there. 80c/lb for tomatoes, 4 red bell peppers for a buck, 1$/lb chilies and sweet peppers.  I got 5lbs of figs for 10 bucks and made fig balsamic preserves and fig jam...hello Christmas gifts.

Could I really leave California?

2 comments:

Sandrine said...

OMG Mandi I'm so excited about you getting a plot at the EC Gardens!!! we're going o be garden neighbors! It's too bad it's not in our backyards but it's SO worth it. Most satisfying thing I've done in Davis!

JJJ said...

I am so pumped about the garden too. We grew lettuce, snap peas, tomatoes, and some herbs..but let me tell you..next year, we are gonna have the gammet (sp?) of gardens..oh and put me on the list of preserves..anything you make I will eat and enjoy..